Consumption of wilted or dried red maple tree (Acer rubrum) leaves can be toxic to horses because they can cause destruction to the red blood cells, which limits their oxygen carrying capacity.
Which maple trees are toxic to horses?
The Red Maple (Acer rubrum; also called the Swamp Maple) is known to be toxic to horses, it has been suggested by researchers that other maple trees can be just as poisonous. Included in the list of toxic maples are the Sugar and silver maples and their hybrids.
Are field maple trees poisonous to horses?
An energetic stallion needs two metres to be secure. On that happy note, we would not be doing our job properly if we did not warn you off the hedging plants that must be avoided altogether because they are poisonous to horses. The three that most people are aware of are Sycamore, Maple and the acorns from Oak trees.
What happens when horses eat maple leaves?
The toxin in red maple leaves has never been identified, but after eating red maple leaves, horses develop severe anemia that results in weakness, depression, pale to yellow mucous membranes and dark brown to red urine due to the hemoglobin being released when the horse’s red blood cells are destroyed.
What trees are bad for horses?
Common Plants and Trees That Are Poisonous to Horses
- Bracken Fern.
- Red Maple Tree Leaves.
- Black Walnut Tree.
- Poison Hemlock.
- Yellow Star Thistle.
Are horses allergic to maple trees?
Ingestion of wilted or dried maple tree (Acer species) leaves can cause toxicities to horses. … Most reported cases indicate that toxicity is caused by red maple (Acer rubrum) leaves. However, it should be recognized that toxicosis may also occur if the leaves of other Acer species are ingested.
How do you protect a maple tree?
Protect the tree by wrapping a soft, flexible plastic tree wrap around the trunk. Starting at the bottom, bury at least 5 cm of the wrap below soil line and work your way upward. Be sure to wrap beyond the typical snow line. Remove the wrap in the spring.
Are field maple berries poisonous?
Acer campestre is not poisonous for wildlife. However, other maple species produce toxins that are considered poisonous. Either way, maple is not edible. In addition, some reports indicate that field maple can cause allergy-like respiratory symptoms, runny nose, and even skin irritation in humans.