Will mold hurt horses?

Most moldy hay problems are from mold spores, which can produce respiratory disease in horses. Many of the common mold toxins develop in the field during a delayed harvest. If you suspect a mold toxin problem, review your horse’s nutrition and health.

Will moldy feed hurt horses?

Moldy or spoiled hay and feed can cause colic symptons in horses. … However, if their diet is fairly restrictive, they may eat moldy food they normally would leave. In addition to colic, mold spores in hay can also contribute to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, also known as heaves.

Can mold kill horses?

if horses eat moldy hay, toxins within molds, known as mycotoxins, can lead to liver damage; 3. horses eating moldy hay are at an increased risk of colic; and, finally, 4.

How much mold is bad for horses?

In essence, the horse owners were “fortunate” that the horses’ symptoms were limited to colic. “If there are fewer than 500,000 CFU’s per gram, the risk to the animals (from the mold itself, without regard to mycotoxin content), would be considered low. Between 1 and 2 million CFUs, feed with caution.”

IT IS INTERESTING:  Can horses have peanut butter?

Can horses get sick from moldy hay?

Don’t feed moldy hay to horses. Most moldy hay problems are from mold spores, which can produce respiratory disease in horses. Many of the common mold toxins develop in the field during a delayed harvest. If you suspect a mold toxin problem, review your horse’s nutrition and health.

Can moldy hay cause colic in horses?

Moldy hay can cause digestive upset that can lead to abdominal pain (colic), sometimes serious. In rare cases, hay containing toxic molds can cause life-threatening illness.

Is it OK to feed horses wet hay?

Soaking hay for horses can be invaluable when feeding a hay that is a little dusty as a result of soil contamination or where it was stored in the barn. Horses that have allergies and are sensitive to the natural dust and particles in hay can benefit significantly from wetting or soaking hay.

Can you fix moldy hay?

Bales that are covered with black sooty mold on the exterior can be removed and discarded, and usually the interior bales are not affected. Bale stack design can help minimize the surface area exposed and, thereby, minimize the damage. Barn design issues can also be corrected to prevent this problem in the future.

Can you soak moldy hay?

To eliminate mold commonly found in hay bales, West Chester, Pa., equine veterinarian Frank Reilly suggests “flash soaking” — tearing pieces of hay off of the bale, putting them in a hay net and then under a heavy rock in a bucket of water for 10 minutes.

IT IS INTERESTING:  What do you feed a fizzy horse?

How long does wet hay last?

You can store hay indefinitely if the stack is managed correctly; although, in humid climates, using hay within three years of harvest is ideal. Hay growers need to bale it at correct moisture levels because if it’s baled too damp the hay will generate heat, which leads to molding.

What can I do with old moldy hay?

This post is for all the old, moldy, destroyed hay that is past it’s prime.

  1. Bedding & Nesting material for nesting boxes, coops, hutches, and run-ins.
  2. Filler for the pool the pigs built. …
  3. Seeding. …
  4. Mulch for yard, around trees, or in pumpkin patches.

How long should you soak horse hay?

Soak hay for 30 to 60 minutes to reduce the sugar it contains. Don’t soak the hay longer or you’ll risk leaching beneficial nutrients. Soaking hay to remove sugars that can exacerbate metabolic conditions such as insulin resistance takes more time.