The algae is enzymatically active and nutrient dense. … The enzymes are critical. Most horse owners realize how much better horses do on natural pasture than hay.
Is blue-green algae harmful to horses?
Cause: exposure to toxins produced by blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) can lead to an acute intoxication affecting either the liver or the central nervous system. Signs: acute hepatotoxicosis with clinical signs of anorexia, depression, diarrhea, colic, weakness, pale mucous membranes and shock.
Does algae have any health benefits?
People use blue-green algae for treating high blood pressure and as a protein supplement. It’s also used for high levels of cholesterol or other fats (lipids) in the blood, diabetes, obesity, and many other conditions.
How do you keep algae from growing in a horse trough?
Treat the water in your watering trough to eliminate and prevent algae. Add 2 to 3 ounces of unscented bleach per 50 gallons of water in the trough, or dissolve copper sulfate crystals in warm water to add to the trough. Dissolve a 1/2 teaspoon of crystals in 1.5 ounces of warm water for a 350-gallon trough.
Can horses drink water with algae?
Toxins produced by the algae are harmful to animals drinking the contaminated water. Microsystin, one of the toxins, affects the gastrointestinal tract, causing colic and diarrhea in horses.
What are the harmful effects of algae?
Exposure to high levels of blue-green algae and their toxins can cause diarrhea, nausea or vomiting; skin, eye or throat irritation; and allergic reactions or breathing difficulties.
What happens if you drink water with algae?
Drinking algae-affected water or consuming food (such as fish or shellfish) containing toxins can lead to gastroenteritis, which can induce vomiting, diarrhoea, fevers and headaches. These toxins may also affect the liver or nervous system. If you are concerned for your health, consult your GP immediately.
What does toxic algae look like?
What do toxic algae look like? Toxic algae can look like foam, scum, or mats on the surface of water, said Schmale. Harmful algae blooms, which can be blue, vibrant green, brown or red, are sometimes mistaken for paint floating on the water.
What algae is poisonous to dogs?
Blue-green algae can be toxic for dogs and cats, leading to liver failure and even death. According to the Veterinary Manual, algae toxicity ‘is an acute, often fatal condition caused by high concentrations of toxic blue-green algae (more commonly known as cyanobacteria—literally blue-green bacteria)’.
What are the symptoms of algae?
Common symptoms experienced include:
- sore throat.
- eye irritation.