The first thing you need to do is to contact the vet school where you would like to donate your horse. In this step, you’d better remember that not all vet schools have the policy of permitting donated horses. So, a thorough check before calling is advisable.
Can you take a horse to the vet?
Importance of Veterinary Care
Adult horses should have a complete veterinary examination at least once a year. Geriatric horses (older than 20 years old) should see their veterinarian twice a year or more frequently because illness is more common in older animals and it can be identified sooner.
What is the best equine vet school?
Top 10 Veterinary Schools
|University of California – Davis||Davis, CA||4-year, Public|
|Cornell University||Ithaca, NY||4-year, Private|
|Colorado State University||Fort Collins, CO||4-year, Public|
|North Carolina State University||Raleigh, NC||4-year, Public|
Can you give a horse away?
Don’t Give Your Horse Away for Free on Craigslist.
This is also a very risky way to rehome your horse. Someone can easily pick up your free horse and turn around and sell him to a kill buyer to make a quick buck. If you want to give your horse away to someone you trust, that’s okay.
How do I get rid of an unwanted horse?
Instead, you should take advantage of a variety of humane options available to you.
- Sell your horse to a properly vetted, private owner. …
- Lease your horse to another horse enthusiast. …
- Relinquish your horse to a therapeutic riding center, park police unit or similar program. …
- Contact your horse’s breeder or previous owners.
How many times should a horse see a vet?
4. Horses need veterinary care. At least once a year, your horse will need to be vaccinated against tetanus and other diseases. The veterinarian will also provide routine dental care.
How much does a vet check up cost for a horse?
$200-$300 should cover a thorough, basic exam, with lots of scribbled notes and numbers written down by the vet throughout the exam. Many times it is printed very neatly and sent to you shortly after the exam.